This 2017 competition has ended. Sign up for the 2018 Developer Circles Community Challenge.
Developers around the globe use Facebook technologies to bring the world closer together and now Developer Circles from Facebook has a challenge for you. In the Developer Circles Community Challenge, you’ll contribute to your community by building solutions that help your fellow developers succeed.
Using at least one Facebook technology, create a solution for developers that either 1) improves their coding skills, 2) makes them more productive coders, or 3) fosters community with other developers.
Developer Circles from Facebook is a great way to connect with other local developers. Each Circle is locally organized by members of the community. In addition to hosting offline events, developers can stay in touch, collaborate and build together online via a dedicated Facebook Group. Circles are free to join and open to any developer, regardless of skill level and experience. Find your local Circle and get involved. (If your area doesn’t have a Circle yet, apply to be a Lead!)
$150,000 in prizes
First Place (3)
$20,000 USD awarded to the First Place winner in each category.
Second Place (3)
$10,000 USD awarded to the Second Place winner in each category.
Third Place (3)
$7,500 USD awarded to the Third Place winner in each category.
Best App by a Student Team (3)
$5,000 USD awarded to the Best App by a Student Team winner in each category.
Best Open Source App (3)
$5,000 USD awarded to the Best Open Source App winner in each category.
Best Updated Pre-Existing App (3)
$2,500 USD awarded to the Best Updated Pre-Existing App winner in each category.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
This challenge is open to:
- Individuals, and teams of individuals, who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry
- Organizations that, at the time of entry, have been duly organized or incorporated and validly exist, and employ 50 or fewer people (Organizations that employ more than 50 people will be eligible for a non-cash recognition prize)
- The competition will welcome submitters from around the globe.
- However, individuals or organizations may bi ineligible to compete if they are based in a nation, state, province, or territory where U.S. or local law prohibits participating in the competition or receiving a prize. This includes individuals, who are residents of, and organizations domiciled in Brazil, Quebec, Cuba, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, Syria and any other country designated by the United States Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control.
- Past or present members of the FbStart program ARE eligible to compete.
Main Requirement: Build a functioning solution that helps developers, and utilizes at least one Facebook product*, in one of the three categories: Improve your craft, Get it done, and Community. (Check out the Resources tab for more info on the tools and the categories).
*Facebook products for any prize OTHER than Best Open Source App prize: your application must use at least one of the following products): Login, Account Kit, Analytics, Messenger.
*Facebook products for open source submissions (your application must be open sourced AND use at least one of the following open source products): React, React Native, React VR, Caffe2, Fresco, Litho, ComponentKit Yoga (specifically YogaKit can be used in iOS apps), GraphQL, Relay.
- Improve your craft - A product that helps developers code and improve their skills
- Get it done - A product that makes work easier or more productive for developers
- Community - A product that helps developers connect
Submit the following assets:
- A demo video (hosted on YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku). Your video should be around 2 minutes and include a demo of your working application via a step-by-step visual demo. Be sure to explain how the Facebook products used enhances the experience of your solution!
- Images. Please submit at least one image/screenshot of your application.
- A way to access your working application for judging and testing by providing a mobile test build, a link to a live website, or a demo site where the application is deployed.
How to enter
- Register for the challenge at developercircles.devpost.com.
- Join your local Developer Circle to find a teammate and collaborate with developers!
- Check out the Facebook tools you can build with on the Resources tab.
- Shoot your 2-minute demo video and take screenshots of your functioning application.
- Submit your application on developercircles.devpost.com by the deadline November 20th, 2017 at 10:00PM ET.
Vice President, Platform Partnerships at Facebook
Vice President of Ecosystem at Atlassian
Director, Technical Talent at a16z
Developer Advocate, Open Source at Facebook
Arthur J. Riel
CIO Finance IT at World Bank
Program Lead, Developer Circles from Facebook
Quality of the Idea
(Includes creativity and originality of the idea.)
Implementation of the Idea
(Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer and the extent to which Facebook tools are leveraged.)
Potential Value to Developers
(Includes the extent to which the solution can help software developers.)